[Dnsmasq-discuss] Per domain Reverse DNS query configuration

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jul 6 18:11:30 BST 2020

On 06.07.20 20:28, salil GK wrote:
>Thanks for the response.
>In my server we use LDAP with SASL. SASL will perform  reverse lookup
>and make sure that from IP address we get the domain name back. How do
>I handle this ?

this is quite common, not specific to SASL. for each reverse range, you must
know where to forward queries to.

10.0.0.0/8 is private IP space, your network admins shouls be able to give
you IPs of DNS servers that can resolve reverse DNS.

Maybe you get them using DHCP.

>On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 16:00, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:
>>
>> On 06.07.20 09:47, salil GK wrote:
>> >   I am new to dnsmasq list. I have my server configured with domain
>> >specific dns resolution for the following entry.
>> >

>> ># daemon version Dnsmasq version 2.81  Copyright (c) 2000-2020 Simon Kelley
>> >
>> >server=/hello.com/10.116.21.86
>> ><<<<
>> >

>> >This works perfectly.
>> >
>> >But I get query for reverse dns resolution - fetch record based on IP
>> >address. So if an IP address comes for exfy.com comes, resolution
>> >fails because the query goes to default dns server and fails if it
>> >doesn't find an entry.
>> >How do I configure reverse dns query per domain ?
>>
>> since reverse lookups are mapping the IP address to domain names, and are in
>> form of 86.21.116.10.in-addr.arpa, you can configure
>>
>> server=/86.21.116.10.in-addr.arpa/10.116.21.86

I think this should more likely be either one of:
21.116.10.in-addr.arpa
116.10.in-addr.arpa
10.in-addr.arpa

>> but you can't configure revrese lookup per resolved domain name like

... reverse.

>> "hello.com" above, because the domain name is not known at the time of
>> lookup.

We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)