[Dnsmasq-discuss] Per domain Reverse DNS query configuration

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Jul 11 14:39:15 BST 2020

On 09.07.20 06:00, salil GK wrote:
>Thanks for the response. I tried to configure dns configuration based
>on IP range, but I failed to do so.

you did not provide the IP ranges.

>My understanding is that , we specify a network address range ( of
>clients for which the reverse lookup need to be performed ) and for
>that address range, IP address of DNS server will be put in config
>file. Is this right ?

yes...

>In the below scenario, could you please get me the configuration - how
>it looks .

>Default DNS  ( s.com )
>domainA DNS  ( a.com )
>
>ServerD 1.2.3.4  ( s.com )
>ServerA 10.20.30.40 ( a.com )

still no IP ranges.

>In the above case , I have configured ServerD in DefaultDNS and
>ServerA in domainA.

You still did not configure anything.

>So pick the right DNS server for 10.20.30.40, ( domainA )  How will
>the configuration look like ?

"nameserver 1.2.3.4" should be in resolv.conf and:

server=/a.com/10.20.30.40

in the dnsmasq.conf.

>Or is there any way we can configure dnsmasq for searching all
>configured dns servers for resolving the name for the required IP
>address.

> In case 10.20.30.40  is not getting resolved in Default DNS,
>dnsmasq will query in next available dns server and go on until it
>finishes all the available dns servers .

No, this apparently will not work properly.

The configuration above will provide every request to 1.2.3.4 and requests
for "a.com" to 10.20.30.40

all reverse requests will thus be forwarded to 1.2.3.4
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.