[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS64 support

Neal P. Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Sat Aug 1 01:19:39 BST 2020

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 15:29:06 +0200
Trey Sis <treysis at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> may I suggest adding an option for DNS64, i.e. synthesizing of AAAA records given a specified prefix for IPv4-only hostnames? I see this has been brought up, but almost 10 years ago. With dnsmasq being widely in use on many home routers, I think this would be a valuable addition. Especially as it is much leaner than "bind" and "totd" is very outdated.

I still plan to do something like this in order to have a single configuration set for DHCP/DNS/firewall. Configure IPv4 addresses and static IPv4 assignments, and provide /64 IPv6 prefixes for the several LANs. Then have the DHCP and DNS servers synthesize IPv6 addresses using the IPv4 addrs. And have the firewall generating code synthesize IPv6 addresses from internal IPv4 addresses as needed. The two stacks remain separate (no translators between them) and internal network administration is simplified.