[Dnsmasq-discuss] Delay in forwarding the DNS query

Ajith Pravin Dhas apdhas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:16:03 BST 2020

Hi team,
I'm Ajith and I'm working as a developer in VMware. We're using dnscache in
our product, and first of all thanks for this utility and this helps a lot
for us. But we're facing a situation here, I hope sending a mail to this
mailing list will help us to narrow down the issue.
We have a service that queries for both AA and AAAA resolutions for an IP
address, but our DNS servers won't resolve the AAAA queries. When our
service makes this request we observe that some of the queries reach
dnsmasq and the request forwarding is getting delayed (more than 120 secs).
So we've made the following changes in our dnsmasq configuration already
*--dns-forward-max *to 300 from 150.

The next plan of action we've is to enable negative caching and to increase
the neg-TTL to 1 day (Is there a limit for this). Can we know whether this
will solve the issue? Also, can we get clarification on what's the reason
for this issue? Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Ajith