[Dnsmasq-discuss] Howto reclaim all dhcp leases after router reboot

Tuxo tuxoholic at hotmail.de
Fri Sep 25 09:17:49 BST 2020

Hi list,

I'm trying to find better ways to reclaim all active dhcp leases on my
local subnet after my home router running dnsmasq occasionally has to
reboot.

Usually after a reboot the lease file set with dhcp-leasefile= is empty
and will remain empty until the client renews or rebinds it's lease (T1
lease and T2 lease time).

I thought the dhcp-authoritative could be of help here, but that seems
not to be the case for the dhcp-leasefile: it stays empty until the
client does renew or rebind it's lease.

So my clumsy fix for the matter was a short lease time of 1h to make
sure it would renew the lease after 30 minutes (T1 time) upon my router
reboots.

I'd like to improve the server configuration, but don't know what else
to try.

So without further ado here's my /etc/dnsmasq.conf file as it stands:

listen-address=127.0.0.1
listen-address=192.168.10.1
interface=br0
dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dnsmasq.leases
dhcp-lease-max=20
dhcp-range=192.168.10.10,192.168.10.90,255.255.255.0,1h
dhcp-option=3,192.168.10.1
dhcp-authoritative
log-dhcp
domain=MyDomain