[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMasq slow.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Thu Oct 1 02:41:58 BST 2020

Hi, all.  I've got a RasPi 4, with 4 GB of mostly empty RAM, acting as
my firewall/gateway, with DHCP and DNSMasq running.  And performance of
it is... odd.  E.g., I have an entry in /etc/hosts on the Pi that I
figured would be served nearly instantly, since no external lookup is
required, and, out of ten lookups from the same host that sits on the
common network, I range from about .2 seconds to 7.  (Note that it seems
to fluctuate throughout the lookups, not just faster after the first
lookup fills the cache or anything.)  Lookups for hosts not in
/etc/hosts seem to be roughly as long as well.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ken