[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using cname to alias dhcp-host IDs

Bottom Post Request stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Dec 24 09:02:04 GMT 2020

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 01:15:00AM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:
> https://serverfault.com/questions/272299/dnsmasq-mapping-2-mac-addresses-to-the-same-ip-address
>
> Configuring both with the same clientID.
> Specifying two MAC addresses on one line.
>
> That serverfault discussion might help but not really convinced unless your
> switch knows how to handle it somehow.
>
> How would arp responses work exactly?   Whichever node responds quickest is
> what it would do.   Probably best to set MACs to be same at BIOS and OS
> levels.

"Two MAC address to same IP-address"  how matches that the Subject line
and even more important the original thread?

> On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 12:43 AM john doe <johndoe65534 at mail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/23/2020 7:08 PM, Arthur Wiebe wrote:
> > >  From reading the man page, and my understanding of the statement "Only one
> > > hostname can be given in a --dhcp-host option, but aliases are possible by
> > > using CNAMEs. (See --cname )" I've been attempting to implement this
> > > without any success so far.
> > >

> > Couple of thoughts here and this assumes that DEVICE_V1 is having the
> > correct IP before fiddling with cnames:

> > With 'dhcp-host' as shown above, the client presenting the hostname
> > 'DEVICE_V1' should get the fixed address shown above.
> >
> > The cname option that you have, will let DNS resolve  'DEVICEV1' or
> > 'DEVICE_V2'.
> >
> > So 'host DEVICE_V1' or 'host DEVICE_V2' should show for both the IP of
> > DEVICE_V1.
> >

> > - When Dnsmasq starts, is DEVICE_V1 present in the lease file?
> >
> > Cnames are only created if the hostname is known to Dnsmasq when starting.

Please show the world that you understand that
you are sending a message to a large audience.
Make it possible that messages can be skipped (or even get lost)
and still be able to follow the discussion.

Reply below the previous text.

Do it for your future self when you are reading this from
an archive that a websearch engine did give you.