[Dnsmasq-discuss] Suggestion: DNSCrypt

Riley Paxton mrjpaxton at pm.me
Thu Jan 7 01:05:27 UTC 2021

Hey,

dnsmasq does a lot, but it doesn't do DNSCrypt. :)

I was wondering if there were any plans to get this baked in anytime?

It is pretty bothersome to have to run `dnscrypt-proxy` with Debian, cumbersomely edit the freaking systemd socket file with `systemctl edit dnscrypt-proxy.socket` and make it run on a different port, since I really want dnsmasq to be the authoritative (only) DNS on standard port 53.

Granted, I was able to completely replace `radvd` with the minimal IPv6 RD technology I needed in dnsmasq, so thank you all for that one!

But now it's 2021. So where is DNSCrypt?

I feel like this is needed to keep dnsmasq modern and relevant. What do you all think?