[Dnsmasq-discuss] TFTP unique root per subnet?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Feb 6 15:58:03 UTC 2021

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 10:19:55AM +0000, Alex Morris wrote:

> Currently, --tftp-unique-root allows individual
> IP addresses or MAC addresses, according to
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html.
>
> Is it possible to specify an entire subnet with --tftp-unique-root,
> so that all devices in that subnet get the same TFTP root directory?
>
> If it is possible, what syntax should I use? I haven't been able to
> find a working combination yet.

Focus on the goal, not on the path you think you must travell.

> If it's not currently possible, would it be possible to include in a
> future release, please?

Yes, dnsmasq is libre software,  patches welcome.

Back to "TFTP unique root per subnet"
  Tag DHCP request from subnets with markers (a.k.a. 'tag') from that
  subnet.
  Set bootfile based upon tag
  Do known that bootfile may contain slashes, so several directory
  levels
  Have faith in TFTP client asking next file from same directory

Report your (succes) story

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--