[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to add AAAA record for host with dynamic prefix?

Fred F frederik.vogelsang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:40:04 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 at 18:07, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> It's actually rather easy to add an address field, such that
>
> interface-name=laptop.thekelleys.org.uk,[::2],eth0/6
>
> and eth0 having 1:2:3:4::1, as before, yields an
> a AAAA record for address 1234::2. The combination of the prefix and the
> address being controlled by the prefix-length of the address.

that sounds great. My guess is that this would also greatly help the
OPNsense project, as they have been struggling with IPv6 firewall
rules with dynamic prefixes for quite some time now. If people were
able to use DNS names then these kind of problems would be solved. But
I agree that the option naming ("interface-name") is not ideal.

Option-wise I think the "host-record" directive would also be
suitable, but I guess there is more work to be done there for
supporting the "constructor:ifname" statements like this:

host-record=laptop,laptop.thekelleys.org,192.168.1.1,::192.168.1.1,constructor:eth0

And yeah, it's a bit clumsy. So if extending the "interface-name"
option is quick and easy this would be fine I guess, as this is not a
feature which is required by the majority of users (yet). But it would
definitely be a unique feature of dnsmasq.

Best regards,
Frederik