[Dnsmasq-discuss] RFC8767 stale TTL

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 14:40:29 UTC 2021

Is it useful in case of dnsmasq?

Both BIND and Unbound can work as iterative resolver, where they do all
the hard work themselves. They can iterate from root. If some servers do
not reply, they may serve stale cached data.

Dnsmasq cannot work without upstream servers. It can select just working
ones, but without any of them available, it would not work only
partially. It would not work at all (except local names from
/etc/hosts). So I am not sure how much useful it would be. If dnsmasq is
under attack, resolved IP address would probably fail connecting to
target, because dnsmasq is typically on the gateway.

It is not very useful in case of dnsmasq IMHO.

Cheers,
Petr

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
email: pemensik at redhat.com
PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB