[Dnsmasq-discuss] Boot file name not given (DHCP Option: 67 Bootfile name - is set but not used in PXE clients)

Christoph Loesch dnsmasq-mail at chil.at
Sun Mar 7 23:42:03 UTC 2021

Hi,

with dnsmasq (version 2.80 on current OpenWRT 19.07.7) I noticed following (in my opinion wrong) behaviour:

when using the setting "dhcp-boot=/pxelinux.0,servername,192.168.1.123" the DHCP Offer/ACK packets sent do not contain the "Boot file name" in the header but "Option: (67) Bootfile name" is set.

Some DHCP clients, who read Option 67 can work with that, but some clients like PXE do not read that option therefor are failing for first tftp file rrq.

As I could not find a git commit regarding a fix for this, I wanted to ask if someone can confirm (and/or possibly fix) this on recent dnsmasq version?

Kind regards,
Christoph