[Dnsmasq-discuss] MacOS problem

Ken Gillett kengroups at icloud.com
Thu Mar 18 20:21:19 UTC 2021

Some research into the error below indicates that INOTIFY is probably used to monitor the status of the files in the specified *dir options so dnsmasq can automatically add records from changed files. But INOTIFY is only enabled when HAVE_LINUX_NETWORK is defined and specifically for APPLE kit, HAVE_BSD_NETWORK is defined. So for MacOS, no INOTIFY and so the ‘*dirs’ facility cannot be used.

At least, that’s how it appears to me. Happy to be corrected on that.

No big deal as I’ll just use the *file version and rely on SIGHUP to force a re-read of all external files (except conf). But a mention of this limitation in the docs would have been appreciated. 😕

Ken  G i l l e t t