[Dnsmasq-discuss] Doing a split zone config

Roland Giesler roland at giesler.za.net
Mon Mar 29 14:19:05 UTC 2021

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 08:52, Geert Stappers via Dnsmasq-discuss <
dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 10:11:01PM +0200, Roland Giesler wrote:
> > Is it possible to set up a split zone in dnsmasq?
> >
> > I mean a want more than just a host override, effectively only an A
> record
> > to be overridden and the other records blocked.
> >
> > So if I query abc.xyz from the internet I would get a public ip address
> and
> > the same for the mx record.  If I however query "dig abc.xyz" from the
> LAN
> > i would get my override record, 192.168.1.2.
> >
> > If I were to query "dig abc.xyz mx", I would get no response.  Is there
> > way in which I can tell dnsmasq to give me the mx record
>
> Snippet from the dnsmasq manual page:

>           Return  an MX record named <mx name> pointing to the given
>           hostname (if given),
>
> > from the authoritative dns server?
>
> Query that authoritative DNS and enter the returned value
> in the dnsmasq configuration.
>
> I have seen that, but it does the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.
If I add a manual record in there, then it has to be manually updated when
the public mx record changes.

I only want to overwrite the A record and want the other records to be
resolved from the public DNS.

I'm quite surprised that there haven't been many requests for this before,
since it's such a logical function imho.