[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fallback local dns

David Moyes dnsmasq at jelmail.com
Mon Apr 12 10:41:08 UTC 2021

Not sure if fallback is the right word. I'd like to specify another
local dns to use for local lookups when dnsmasq would otherwise return
nxdomain.

I have a network configured and working fine. A small kubernetes cluster
has been added with its own dns. It is configured as a subdomain and
that is working fine. i.e in dnsmasq.conf there is

    local=/mydomain.com/
    server=/cluster.mydomain.com/192.168.100.100

This allows things like

    service1.mydomain.com         # not in cluster, resolved by dnsmasq
    service2.cluster.mydomain.com # in the cluster, resolved by its dns

I'd like to configure it without the cluster subdomain so that I can have

    service1.mydomain.com # not in cluster, resolved by dnsmasq
    service2.mydomain.com # in the cluster, resolved by its dns

The cluster's dns will happily resolve service2.mydomain.com if accessed
directly but I'd like dnsmasq to pass local requests that it would
otherwise return nxdomain to the cluster's dns.

Is there a way to achieve that?