[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 only

Aaron Oneal aaron at spicypixel.com
Wed Apr 21 18:41:15 UTC 2021

I am trying to configure my gateway running Dnsmasq to serve IPv6 addresses via SLAAC+RA and I don’t see how to enable that in a way that doesn’t also require IPv4 DHCP to be turned on.

interface=br0
dhcp-range=lan,::,constructor:br0,ra-stateless,64,600
ra-param=br0,10,600
enable-ra

I already have a different server on the LAN that handles IPv4 DHCP so I don’t want Dnsmasq doing it.

The problem is, Dnsmasq listens on IPv4 anyway and every time it receives an IPv4 DHCP message it spams my syslog with dozens of messages per second saying "no address range available for DHCP request via br0." I didn’t specify an IPv4 range because I don’t want one.

I tried using `listen-address=<ipv6 addresses>` instead of `interface=br0` but then RA doesn’t seem to be active and my devices stop receiving IPv6 addresses.

I can’t remove the IPv4 address from the interface because it’s a gateway.

Is there a way to configure Dnsmasq for IPv6 only?