[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq not overriding leases for static assigments

Jesus M Diaz jesusm.diazperez at gmail.com
Sat May 15 11:38:16 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have a 'TP-Link One-Mesh' system at home formed by the main router and
three satellite access-points. It works really well making a good coverage
over the house with smooth change from one AP to the other, but it has a
caveat: for DHCP requests, the AP change the client mac-address with a
combination of the three last duplas from the own AP mac-addr and the last
three ones from the client itself.

So, imagine my client mac-addr is A:B:C:D:E:F and my APs mac-addr are
aN:bN:cN:dN:eN:fN, with N a number to identify the AP.

If the client connects directly to the router, the dhcp request will come
from A:B:C:D:E:F. But if it connects to one of the AP, the dhcp request
will come from dN:eN:fN:D:E:F.

This is not a problem for dynamic assignments (well, sometimes is for the
name link in the dns part, but not critical).

But when I have static leases the problems. I have defined dhcp-hosts
entries with multiple mac-addr, something the documentations explain as:

*As a special case, in DHCPv4, it is possible to include more than one
> hardware address.
> eg: --dhcp-host=11:22:33:44:55:66,12:34:56:78:90:12,192.168.0.2 This allows
> an IP address to be associated with multiple hardware addresses, and gives
> dnsmasq permission to abandon a DHCP lease to one of the hardware addresses
> when another one asks for a lease.*

But the reality is that when a second request comes, dnsmasq finds the IP
is in used and assigns a new one from the global pool, instead of the
static one.

I have tried the configuration either using wildcards (*:*:*:D:E:F, given
the last part of the mac-addr remains unchanged), but also defining each
one of the possible cases
(d1:e1:f1:D:E:F,d2:e2:f2:D:E:F,d3:e3:f3:D:E:F,A:B:C:D:E:F). Same outcome in
both cases.

Am I doing something wrong? Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.