[Dnsmasq-discuss] Use special address 0.0.0.0 for DNS

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 09:17:21 UTC 2021

If I'm reading this correctly, it needs an extra step, to discover and
list all the interfaces, both after the initial installation and after
cloning and after motherboard/NIC replacements, e.g.

interface-name=webserver,enp2s0
interface-name=webserver,enp4s0
interface-name=webserver,enp5s0

It would be simpler if we could do:
interface-name=webserver,*

Nevertheless, it saves us from modifying the dnsmasq configuration every
time the IP changes, so it's much better than what we had!

Thank you very much Simon!

On 6/16/21 12:03 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
On 16/06/2021 09:10, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
 > Hi, from the dnsmasq man page:
 >
 >> The special address 0.0.0.0 is taken to mean
 >> "the address of the machine running dnsmasq"
 >
 > This is for DHCP.
 > Can I do the same for DNS queries, in some way?
 > So that I could map "webserver" to the dnsmasq IP,
 > and DNS clients would be able to bookmark and use http://webserver,
 > even if the dnsmasq IP is dynamic.

Not using 0.0.0.0, this functionality is provided a different way, see

--interface-name

in the man page. That should do what you want nicely.