[Dnsmasq-discuss] client q: both static and dhcp

Dominik dl6er at dl6er.de
Sun Jun 27 05:03:33 UTC 2021

Hey Carl,

On Sat, 2021-06-26 at 19:16 -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> I'm looking for advice on haveing some boxes to have both dynamic and
> static IPs.

Why use a static IP at all? We have often enough seen people use static
addresses for the wrong reasons.

Consider using only DHCP and

(a) use a hostname to access the device. In the end, memorizing some-
service.lan is more reliable than 192.168.1.149. You may think
differently, but let's see what you say after not having logged into
the box for half a year - do you still know the address without looking
it up? However, you may still recall a good hostname.

(b) use a deterministic DHCP server like dnsmasq. It always tries to
assign the same IP addresses to the same devices (instead of numbering
them sequentially based on their appearance like cheap routers often
do).

Using (a), (b) or (a)+(b) doesn't require you to have a static IP at
all.

Best,
Dominik