[Dnsmasq-discuss] client q: both static and dhcp

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jun 27 08:04:20 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 02:17:20AM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 2:10 AM john doe <johndoe65534 at mail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Why use a static IP at all? We have often enough seen people use static
> > > addresses for the wrong reasons.
> > >

> > As I understand it, the OP wants to use DHCP static leases.
> >

> No.
>
> I need this for when move put a box on someone else's network.

That implies talking with the administrators of the network you visit.

> So I don't have any control over the dhcp server.

Switch from "I most be in total control"
to "I can work with others, I can find common ground"

Back to "computer network level".

Have access to the host network configuration at all time.
Yes, that has a price.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--