[Dnsmasq-discuss] OT client q: both static and dhcp

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Sun Jun 27 17:01:30 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 10:49 AM Andrew Miskell <andrewmiskell at mac.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2021, at 09:30, Carl Karsten <carl at nextdayvideo.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 7:56 AM john doe <johndoe65534 at mail.com> wrote:

>> static

>> > No.
>> >
>> > I need this for when move put a box on someone else's network.
>> > So I don't have any control over the dhcp server.
>> >

>> Then set an fix IP on dhcp client (dhclient ...) and remove it when you
>> don't need it.
>>
>> Basically, you set the dhcp client to have a static address or let the
>> client get a lease from a dhcp server.
>>

> I'm trying to reduce the amount of work I need to do when I show up and
> discover there is no dhcp server.
>
> Example locations: university, coffee shop, convention center, office
> meeting room.   In all cases I am a guest for a few days.
>

>> Why do you need dnsmasq into the mix?
>>

> I don't - I am just working on client config.
>

>> --
>> John Doe

> --
> Carl K
>

> A couple things. It might help to state what the client device is running
> (Windows, Linux and what distribution/version).

Opsis PC: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Voctomix:  Debian GNU/Linux 11

> dnsmasq is a DNS/DHCP server not a client, so I’m unsure what the role of
> dnsmasq would be here.

This is a bit OT (Off Topic) as in it is not a dnsmasq server question.
I am asking about client config.
to a group qualified to know about such things.
if there is a better place to ask such questions, let me know.

> Most of the places you listed would already have a DHCP server available
> to hand out IP addresses (and associated network information) on its own.
> Otherwise, there’s no easy way to connect to the internet without knowing
> all that particular networks details (e.g. gateway address, subnet mask,
> etc, etc) which defeats the point of providing network access in a number
> of the locations you listed.

If I could always plug a wire into a jack and get to a dhcp server, I would
not have a problem.
I do not want to route 400mbs video traffic though the coffee shop wifi.
Which isn't a problem as my devices don't have wifi.  So yes the coffee
shop does have a dhcp server, I may not want to use it.

If I do not have access to the venue network, then my networking needs are
just my 2 devices.  This is the  case I am trying to provide for, without
having to edit
a config file.  the Opsis PC is often headless,  so editing is done via ssh
from the voctomix pc, which is hard if the 2 don't have networking setup.

--
Carl K