[Dnsmasq-discuss] Change in behaviour of --server

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Fri Jul 9 10:26:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

just personal opinion. I think all described variants should end with
configuration error. Desired behavior conflicts for all types. I see no
reason to have both at the same time when only one can be active. If we
care much about specific use case, it should print at least warning
visible in dnsmasq --test output. I would exit with fatal and require
user to specify clearly what is desired. Leaving only one variant
without caring about their order. Just comment out the line you do not
want active.

As a minimum, it should warn there are conflicting orders for a single
domain.

Cheers,

Petr

On 7/6/21 1:14 PM, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> An eager OpenWrt tester of current dnsmasq master has noticed the following change in behaviour:
>
> Openwrt uses a conf file containing a list of RFC6761 domains that are considered undesirable to forward, reducing load on upstream servers etc.  This conf file contains lines such as "server=/onion/“.  Said user overrides this with a line in main config file ’server=/onion/127.0.0.1#2053’.  Unfortunately current dnsmasq looks through its servers and returns ’NXDOMAIN’.  dnsmasq v2.85 says ‘yeah fine, I’ll forward that to 127.0.0.1#2053’
>
> The are two solutions to this: 1) drop ’server=/onion/‘ from the RFC6761 config file - 2)  Take advantage of new syntax and use ’server=/*.onion/127.0.0.1#2053’
>
> I’m flagging this as a change in behaviour and I’m not sure how syntactically it can or even should be fixed, or just documented as a change in behaviour. eg.
>
> Should there be a difference (& what should it be) between
>
> --server=/onion/
> --server=/onion/127.0.0.1#2053
>
> (forward to 127.0.0.1#2053)
>
> and
>
> --server=/onion/127.0.0.1#2053
> --server=/onion/
>
> (not sure!)
>
> or even worse
>
> --server=/onion/127.0.0.1#2053
> --server=/onion/
> --server=/onion/127.0.0.1#2153
>
> (use both #2053 & #2153?)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kevin D-B
>
> gpg: 012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A

Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
Red Hat, http://www.redhat.com/
email: pemensik at redhat.com
PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB