[Dnsmasq-discuss] Force-Renew support on dnsmasq

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Jul 14 19:16:56 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 06:08:46PM +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 14/07/2021 06:17, Gocool.. wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I am using the dnsmasq package of version "2.83" as a DHCP server.
> > Looking for the option for configuring the "DHCP-FORCERENEW" option in
> > dnsmasq.
> >
> > When there is a change in the LAN network subnet, the DHCP server should
> > trigger FORCE-RENEW packets to all its connected clients. So, all the
> > clients immediately get IP in the new subnet configured.
> >
> > Could you please let me know whether the FORCE-RENEW option is supported
> > in dnsmasq? If Yes, How can I achieve this? Please advise.
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
>
> Forcerenew is not supported. Sorry.

After reading https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3203 DHCP reconfigure extension
( Abstract

   This document defines extensions to DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration
   Protocol) to allow dynamic reconfiguration of a single host triggered
   by the DHCP server (e.g., a new IP address and/or local configuration
   parameters).  This is achieved by introducing a unicast FORCERENEW
   message which forces the client to the RENEW state.  The behaviour
   for hosts using the DHCP INFORM message to obtain configuration
   information is also described.
)
I understand why it isn't yet implemented. I don't understand why
there was no "patches welcome".

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--