[Dnsmasq-discuss] Weird TFTP Failure

Michael michael at kmaclub.com
Wed Jul 14 23:29:08 UTC 2021

On 7/14/21 3:06 PM, Craig Perry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm battling a little bit with a weird PXE Boot issue - i can pxeboot
> ubuntu 20.04 just fine but not 21.04. When booting 20.04 (which works
> just fine) the behaviour i see is:
>
> 1. transfers vmlinuz kernel image via tftp - OK
> 2. transfers initrd image via tftp - OK
> 3. Kernel boots, mounts the initial ramdisk then that's the end of
> tftp stuff, everything thereafter happens over http and it's fine
>
> However, when booting 21.04, the behaviour i see is:
>
> 1. transfers vmlinuz kernel image via tftp - OK
> 2. transfers initrd image via tftp - FAILS, always near the end of the
> file transfer
>
> The 20.04's initrd is 80mb in size, 21.04's is 99mb.

Its been a long time since I have done any PXE builds, but I remember
seeing something like this in the past.   So take my response with a
grain of salt :)

What PXE boot manager are you using?     I believe in the pxelinux.cfg
file ( or similar ) you typically set ramdisk_size=<blah> and that needs
to have enough room to hold the initrd.   You might want to check to see
if yours is big enough for the larger initrd.

Michael