[Dnsmasq-discuss] localise-queries on ipv6 server does not work with ipv4-only hosts

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Jul 16 09:24:22 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 08:38:26AM +0200, fda at gmx.de wrote:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 02:22:05AM +0200, fda at gmx.de wrote:
> > } Hello,
> > }
> > } i have a multi-homed ipv4 ONLY device "Alice". By each subnet it should be
> > } reached by the same name.
> > }
> > } Dnsmasq runs on a ip v4+v6 device "B". In the hosts file is "Alice" with all
> > } ips and always the same name.
> > }
> > } "localise-queries" is enabled.
> > }
> > }
> > } This works fine as long as i'm asking dnsmasq by ipv4, only the correct
> > } 1 ipv4 record is returned.
> > }
> > } If i ask dnsmasq BY ipv6, ALL A records are returned (there is no AAAA)
> > }
> > Please continue, tell what is expected from this mailinglist.
> >

> I expect from the mailing list that it forwards my bugreport to people
> developing dnsmasq
>
> "There is a dnsmasq mailing list at
> should be the first location for queries, bugreports, suggestions etc."
>
> What do you exprect from the mailing list?
} What do you expect from a mailing list?

Humans aware of interacting with other humans, humans finding common ground.

Back to where this email thread should about:

Host Alice is IPv4 only, so has no IPv6 address.
Which AAAA record should exist for Alice?

Right now there is no "bugreport", at least none that I see.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse