[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq replying with refuse without forwarding request to upstream server.

Alex Morris dnsmasq-discuss at alexmorris.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 07:17:51 UTC 2021

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, at 18:21, sunil rathod wrote:
> Hi All,
> Any thoughts why dnsmasq is replying with REFUSE response without
> forwarding the query to upstream server?  Nslookup always fails with
> refuse response from the external client. I have the upstream server
> configured on conf file as
> server=8.8.8.8 at eth0
> Regards,
> Sunil

In case it's relevant, Akamai had an outage yesterday which affected DNS for a lot of domains. See https://edgedns.status.akamai.com/incidents/n5zl6dythvfv

I was getting a mix of REFUSED and SERVFAIL yesterday afternoon.

Which domain(s) were you trying to query? Do they use Akamai's services? Are they responding normally today?

--
Alex