[Dnsmasq-discuss] feature: dictionary order import of addn-hosts dirs?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Aug 8 12:54:29 UTC 2021

On 20/07/2021 21:31, Geert Stappers via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 06:52:03PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
>> Hi, around 2.82 someone posted a little patch to import the config files in dictionary order, which
>> is very useful for situations where you have overlapping definitions. I'm using an addn-hosts stanza
>> pointing to a directory and files currently import in a somewhat random order (suppose inode
>> order?), which can lead to unexpected reverse host definitions in some cases
>>
>> Could we have a dictionary order import for add-hosts files please?
> Qouting Dominik from https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2021q3/015307.html
> } Feature submissions via git patches are welcomed also on this list
> } and are known to accelerate feature realization drastically.

Quoting from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/condescending

"To be condescending is to interact with others in a way that implies that you’re superior to them.
It especially refers to when this is done in an arrogant or patronizing way"

..."Being condescending often involves not only what is said, but also how it’s said. A
condescending tone is often one that sounds like it’s directed at a child."

> So it is a good thing to be more precise then
>  "around 2.82 someone posted a little patch to import the config files in dictionary order"
>
> Visit the mailinglist archive and come back with the URL
> of the (meanwhile outdated??) patch.

I'm not sure why you bothered to even send your patronising reply, given that you don't seem to be
keeping up to date with the code being added to dnsmasq? How does your response enhance my
understanding of the problem, or encourage me to contribute, or educate me on what is needed to
develop a patch?

Is your goal only to chase me away by showing how clever you are, or is your goal to try and draw me
into this community and become a valuable member? It's hard for me to see that the latter is your goal?

I'm sure I'm wasting my time since if you were genuinely interested in helping you would already
know, but for the archives sake:

    https://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=ab53883c94f94958e22077c79ba1dae1850a475e

> Groeten
> Geert Stappers

I notice you like to offer snippy responses quite regularly on this mailing list. Can I recommend
you read a few articles such as:

    https://compassionatecoding.com/blog/2016/8/25/tech-has-a-toxic-tone-problemlets-fix-it

I would remind you that I have generally been happy to pay for my feature requests. Please don't
feel encouraged for you to offer development time though, I don't feel that I wish to employ you.

Thanks

Ed W