[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq v2.86?

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Wed Aug 11 07:45:17 UTC 2021

Hi Andre,

This is curious ‘cos I’ve just been running 2.88test6 for the past 28 days (I was away in Japan for a month and was banned from touching the openwrt router whilst I was away) with stubby without any problems.

My stubby config is different:

# Autogenerated configuration from uci data
resolution_type: GETDNS_RESOLUTION_STUB
round_robin_upstreams: 1
appdata_dir: "/var/etc/stubby"
trust_anchors_backoff_time: 2500
tls_authentication: GETDNS_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED
tls_query_padding_blocksize: 128
edns_client_subnet_private: 1
idle_timeout: 10000
listen_addresses:
  - 127.0.0.1 at 5453
dns_transport_list:
  - GETDNS_TRANSPORT_TLS
upstream_recursive_servers:
  - address_data: 2606:4700:4700::1111
    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
  - address_data: 2606:4700:4700::1001
    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
  - address_data: 1.1.1.1
    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com"
  - address_data: 1.0.0.1
    tls_auth_name: "cloudflare-dns.com”

and my dnsmasq config is wildly different, so I’m not sure looking for differences in config is going to help, although I note I don’t validate dnssec instead trusting my upstreams to do it.

Try installing & using ’strace’ on the errant dnsmasq to get a flavour of what it’s doing syscall wise, hopefully that will give some clues whilst the clever people on this list come up with better suggestions.

An additional idea, enable ‘log-queries’, an idea of the last queries handled by dnsmasq before it goes AWOL might reveal a pattern.

Cheers,

Kevin D-B

gpg: 012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A