[Dnsmasq-discuss] Question about --all-servers in man page

Masanari Iida standby24x7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 10:26:28 UTC 2021

dnsmasq-2.85 (Fedora 33, x86_64)
multiple upstream DNS servers in config file.
No --strict-order, No --all-server setting .

Symptom
Explanation about --all-servers in dnsmasq(8) man page could
be different from actual dnsmasq behavior.

In man page, it is written that
"By default, when dnsmasq has more than one upstream server
available, it will send queries  to  just one server"

But actual behavior is, it sends queries to _ALL_ upstream DNS
servers in config at once.
And if I set --strict-order in dnsmasq.conf, then it send a query to one
server at a time.

If my test result is expected behavior, I would suggest to remove
following part from --all-server section of dnsmasq man page.

"By default, when dnsmasq has more than one upstream server
available, it will send queries  to  just one server."

Regards,
Masanari Iida