[Dnsmasq-discuss] Questions about DHCP persistence and lease times

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Sep 3 10:31:35 UTC 2021

Two questions really:-

    Is the file /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases the only place where
    dnsmasq keeps DHCP/IP/Name information across restarts?  I.e. if I
    delete that file will new DHCP requests get new IPs?  (or does the
    client have some memory of the last IP it got?)

    If a client's DHCP lease expires and it sends a new DHCP request
    out, which fails, will it continue to use the old values or will
    it just die?

I realise /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases is not cast in stone and could
be a different file but I'm sure it's clear what question I'm asking.

--
Chris Green