[Dnsmasq-discuss] Questions about DHCP persistence and lease times

Michael michael at kmaclub.com
Fri Sep 3 15:07:00 UTC 2021

On 9/3/21 7:02 AM, Chris Green wrote:

> I was thinking about the usual "one local server and 1.1.1.1 or
> 8.8.8.8 as secondary" but now I think about it I suppose there's
> nothing difficult about providing two local servers.  However will
> having one of them non-functional slow things down at all?
>

> So:-
>
>      1 - How do I configure dnsmasq to give two DNS server addresses?
>
>      2 - Will only actually having one listening cause any delay?

You can configure multiple addresses with:

dhcp-option=6, x.x.x.x, y.y.y.y

As I mentioned in another response, the client resolver chooses which DNS server to use and what order.   Having one in the list that isn't active can cause problems as your client may try it and then have to time out before trying the other.  I wouldn't list any that were not active.

Michael