[Dnsmasq-discuss] What's the "right" way to specify upstream servers?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Sep 4 14:33:10 UTC 2021

On 03.09.21 17:13, Chris Green wrote:
>I know there probably isn't a "right" way to do this but, while I've
>been trying to sort out how to make my dns/dhcp more resilient, I have
>looked at my existing dnsmasq running on a Pi and it looks a bit odd
>to me.
>
>It's a pretty standard, off the shelf Raspberry Pi installation using
>the Lite version as it's headless.  The dnsmasq.conf file has been
>changed quite a lot over the years though and I wonder if it's still
>optimal.
>
>The upstream servers *seem* to be specified in /etc/dhcpcd.conf as
>follows:-
>
>    # Example static IP configuration:
>    interface eth0
>    static ip_address=192.168.1.2/24
>    #static ip6_address=fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::ff/64
>    static routers=192.168.1.1
>    static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.2 1.1.1.1 212.159.13.49

this is dhcp client configuration, not dhcp server.

iiuc it tells dhcp client not to use IP address, default route nor servers
that DHCP server provided.

I really wonder why you run dhcp client in this case.

>/etc/resolv.conf is:-
>
>    # Generated by resolvconf
>    nameserver 127.0.0.1

this means local clients query something running on localhost, apparently
dnsmasq.

>So, is the above OK?  Is it the "right" way to do it?  ....etc.

I recomment using nameservers the DHCP server provided, not override it
unless you really know why.

Also, I would put upstream nameservers to resolv.conf, so the resolving
works even if dnsmasq fails, crashes or is killed.

>The /etc/resolv.conf is written by /etc/init.d/dnsmasq and is, I
>believe, correct so that dnsmasq does local cacheing.  However I'm not
>sure about the upstream servers in /etc/dhcpcd.conf including the
>local host as well.

I don't see dnsmasq configuration here.

I assume it's configured but I am not familiar to raspberry configuration...
99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.