[Dnsmasq-discuss] What's the "right" way to specify upstream servers?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Sep 5 11:51:22 UTC 2021

On 04.09.21 17:52, Chris Green wrote:
>This *is* the DHCP server for my LAN so these are the upstream DNS
>servers it gives to its clients.

- why do you run a DHCP client on a DHCP server then?
- Especially when you configured it statically and not to use DHCP settings?

note that this is dnsmasq list, not dhcpcd.

>> I really wonder why you run dhcp client in this case.
>>
>> > /etc/resolv.conf is:-
>> >
>> >    # Generated by resolvconf
>> >    nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>
>> this means local clients query something running on localhost, apparently
>> dnsmasq.
>>
>> > So, is the above OK?  Is it the "right" way to do it?  ....etc.
>>
>> I recomment using nameservers the DHCP server provided, not override it
>> unless you really know why.

>As I said this *is* the DHCP server.

I don't see you mentioned this in your former e-mail.

>> I don't see dnsmasq configuration here.
>>
>> I assume it's configured but I am not familiar to raspberry configuration...

>Exactly my problem!  It's an 'out of the box' installation of dnsmasq
>on a Raspberry Pi that I have changed to static IP so that it can act
>as my local DNS/DHCP server.

well, I again don't see if or how you configured your dnsmasq, and since I
don't own RPI, I don't know if or how is it configured by default.

Perhaps you could ask in RPI forum / mailing list?
(they should know the above)

or show us how does your dnsmasq.conf look like?

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.