[Dnsmasq-discuss] rev-server=fe80::/10, 192.168.178.1 no longer accepted (version 2.86)

Dominik DL6ER dl6er at dl6er.de
Sat Sep 11 15:23:48 UTC 2021

Hey Simon,

On Fri, 2021-09-10 at 23:48 +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> For IPv6, this seems like an obviously good thing to do, since
> one
> --rev-server can create as most eight .....ip6.arpa, but for
> IPv4, that
> goes up to 128 since for instance 192.168.1.0/25 expands to
>
> 0.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> 1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> .
> .
> 127.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
>

> I guess that now we have efficient searches over domains, that's
> more
> likely to be OK, but it needs some consideration.

I see, however, this is surely the worst case and not something
that'd happen very often. The typical use case I've seen being
requested for Pi-hole is something like /22 which would result in
4 generated entries.

Patch attached, it allows arbitrary subnets and explains what it
is doing to syslog (similar to how we do it for DHCP). It applies
cleanly to the current master.

I guess it's pretty self-explanatory, more details can be found
in my last submission:

https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2020q2/013985.html
https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2020q2/013997.html

Everything is combined in one patch now.

Best,
Dominik