[Dnsmasq-discuss] How may is too many CNAME references?

Ercolino de Spiacico bellocarico at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 26 19:06:06 UTC 2021

I have a working script to block ads via ads-blocker public-lists based
on dnsmasq.

The dnsmasq.additional file is populated with a long list of
address=/baddomain/0.0.0.0

It works fine but I was trying to improve speed/RAM usage so I've tried
for a test to switch to a CNAME format, so:

host-record=no,0.0.0.0
cname=baddomain,no
cname=baddomain2,no
etc

If the list of cnames is relatively short (say 300 references) it works
no problem and dnsmasq restart (needed to reload the config) is almost
instant; but if the cname list grows big a restart takes really long
time. I always run dnsmasq --test before restarting and the syntax is
reported to be OK.

Is there a limit on how many cname you can have in a config file?
Why a difference in behaviour between ADDRESS and CNAME?

Thanks!