[Dnsmasq-discuss] pxe-service entries in dnsmasq conf seem to fail non-proxy EFI boot

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 13:58:36 UTC 2021

I think this should have been:

pxe-service=tag:!iPXE,X86PC,ltsp/undionly.kpxe
pxe-service=tag:!iPXE,X86-64_EFI,ltsp/snponly.efi
pxe-service=tag:iPXE,X86PC,ltsp/ltsp.ipxe
pxe-service=tag:iPXE,X86-64_EFI,ltsp/ltsp.ipxe
# fallback for BIOS-only clients without PXE support
dhcp-boot=tag:!iPXE,ltsp/undionly.kpxe

Does LTSP still support booting outside PXE standard? Does it need to be
supported? I think only non-PXE capable clients should fall back to to
dhcp-boot parameters. All others should have some pxe-service entry.
Current code does not allow different configuration I think. Even
without iPXE, PXEClient will get boot parameter ONLY from pxe-service.
It would get dhcp-boot parameter only if there is no pxe-service used at
all.

It seems pxe-service is IPv4 only at the moment. Any device trying to
boot over IPv6 would probably boot only using:

dhcp-option=option6:bootfile-url,ltsp/ltsp.ipxe

Which is a bit sad. I guess only input parameters and output options are
somehow different. But it should offer similar paths also on IPv6. Maybe
time would be found sometime to implement also IPv6 support.

Cheers,
Petr

Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
Red Hat, http://www.redhat.com/
email: pemensik at redhat.com
PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB