[Dnsmasq-discuss] Bug while using address=//::

Dominik Derigs dl6er at dl6er.de
Wed Sep 29 17:30:17 UTC 2021

Hey Petr,

On Wed, 2021-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Petr Menšík wrote:
> May I ask for your reason, why are you trying to explicitly block IPv6 in
> year 2021?

I asked the very same question when we received the reports about this bug
with the different allocated memory sized that was fixed two weeks ago. The
answer I received from independent parties was always the same. In short:

1. No native IPv6 connectivity
2. Using some sort of VPN tunnel to get IPv6
3. Several services favor IPv6

These services (I saw Netflix, Spotify and other bigger names) mentioned
that refuse to work because they think you want to cheat on their geo-
fencing with your VPN. When they use Netflix over their native IPv4,
everything works.

I was a bit surpised about this, but it does make sense.

Best
Dominik