[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS from dhcp-host while client is offline

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 08:21:00 UTC 2021

Hi, I'm using a dhcp-hostsfile with lines like the following:

b8:27:eb:c4:a5:4a,set:lab1,192.168.67.100,rpi

When that client boots, I can run `host rpi localhost` and dnsmasq tells
me its IP.
But when that client is offline, dnsmasq replies "Host rpi not found:
3(NXDOMAIN)"

Is there any way for dnsmasq to put all the dhcp-hosts into its DNS view
even when these clients are offline?
Otherwise I guess I could write a bash script that converts a dhcp-hosts
file into an addn-hosts file with lines like:

192.168.67.100 rpi

Please Cc me as I'm not in the list.

Thank you,
Alkis Georgopoulos