[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS from dhcp-host while client is offline

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 13:24:57 UTC 2021

Hello Geert and all,

unfortunately this feature isn't convenient when you want to `ping pc`
and wait until it's up; or when you check some system logs and see an IP
and you want to run `host IP` to see which hostname it maps to, yet that
PC isn't up at that time; or in certain multiple DHCP
servers/failover/balancing scenarios.

If there's no way to maintain a single file with that information, then
I'll use a bash script to convert dhcp-hosts to addn-hosts.

Thank you for your help!
Alkis

On 10/3/21 3:37 PM, Geert Stappers wrote:

Hello Alkis,
Hello Dnsmasq mailinglist,

On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 11:21:00AM +0300, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
 > Hi, I'm using a dhcp-hostsfile with lines like the following:
 >
 > b8:27:eb:c4:a5:4a,set:lab1,192.168.67.100,rpi
 >
 > When that client boots, I can run `host rpi localhost` and dnsmasq
tells me
 > its IP.
 > But when that client is offline, dnsmasq replies "Host rpi not found:
 > 3(NXDOMAIN)"

I consider that a good feature of dnsmasq,
having in DNS what is recently been seen by DHCP.

 > Is there any way for dnsmasq to put all the dhcp-hosts into its DNS view
 > even when these clients are offline?
 > Otherwise I guess I could write a bash script that converts a dhcp-hosts
 > file into an addn-hosts file with lines like:
 >
 > 192.168.67.100 rpi

Yes, that way is DHCP not involved.

 > Thank you,
 > Alkis Georgopoulos