[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS from dhcp-host while client is offline

Dominik Derigs dl6er at dl6er.de
Mon Oct 4 12:37:22 UTC 2021

Hey Petr,

On Mon, 2021-10-04 at 11:45 +0200, Petr Menšík wrote:
> Perhaps a flag could be added to dhcp-range, requesting also
> addition of dhcp-hosts to static dns.

Maybe this flag would better be set on --dhcp-host and --dhcp-
hostsfile if this is used? This would feel more "natural" to me.

Initially, I've myself found this an odd behavior to only serve
only DHCP host names that are known to be "alive". I do see some
value in not serving A records when we know the server is
offline, however, the very same happens on the Internet all the
time: no DNS server I'm aware of checks if an A record is
reachable before giving you the reply.

I've seen other systems using dnsmasq (it may or not have been
DD-WRT, no promises!) that created two files from static leases:
A dhcp-hostsfile and an addn-hosts file. Having an option to make
the latter obsolete sounds like a good idea.

Best,
Dominik