[Dnsmasq-discuss] Option 12 hostname sent to RPi seems incorrect

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Oct 25 16:04:56 UTC 2021

On 25.10.21 19:30, Shrenik Bhura wrote:
>No, I am not using such an IP address anywhere as a hostname.

well, since you seem to have set DHCP option 12 (hostname) to the IP
address:

https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2021q4/015875.html
https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2021q4/015893.html

then don't wonder wh

>Nothing on the server is configured to set the same.

what's set on the DHCP server? does the DHCP server set a name for your IP?
If not, maybe the DHCP server uses the IP address as hostname which creates
your problem.

>The Raspberry Pi client is netbooting, so nothing on the client side could
>be setting it.

looks like DHCP script or network-manager on debian also setss hostname to
what's received from DHCP server. It can be turned off, check in raspbian
too (but where should it get its hostname from then?)

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse