[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using different bootp files for one host

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Mar 22 22:08:53 GMT 2006

Khanh-Dang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a workstation that needs to make two BOOTP requests when booting.
>
> The first BOOTP request asks for a file "/path/file1". It really asks
> for this file, i.e. the file path and name are given in the BOOTP
> request as the boot_file_name parameter.
>
> Here is the line I already have in my "/etc/dnsmasq.conf":
>  dhcp-boot=/path/file1,tftp_servername,tftp_serverip
>
> With this line, dnsmasq is acting as the BOOTP client expects, and this
> latter starts downloading /path/file1 from the TFTP server.
>
> For some reasons, the workstation needs to reboot and then asks for
> another file, i.e. it sends a BOOTP request in which the boot_file_name
> parameter is set to "/path/file2".
>
> Then, dnsmasq expectedly sends a BOOTP reply which says to the BOOTP
> client to download "/path/file1", as it is specified by the
> configuration file.
>
> The problem is that I need dnsmasq to reply with the boot_file_name
> field set to what the BOOTP client asks for, i.e. "/path/file2" for the
> second request.
>
> I don't really know if this behaviour is RFC-compliant. However, is it
> possible to configure dnsmasq to act like that (for example by binding
> the boot_file_name request to a net:network-id)?

An excellent idea! So good that it is already in the code. It should be
possible to configure

dhcp-boot=net:/path/file1,/path/file1,.......
dhcp-boot=net:/path/file2,/path/file2,.......

> Or perhaps there is a one-line patch that can solve my issue.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,

I'm not aware of anybody using this facility, so it's possibly gone
untested for some time. Try it and let me know, of there's a problem it
will be fixable.