[Dnsmasq-discuss] seperate DHCP- and PXE-Server

Касаткин Николай nikolay.kasatkin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 18:30:05 GMT 2010

Hello, Helmut!

You can use "proxy DHCP" feature of Dnsmasq on the second machine and
DHCP-only on first machine. Second server will answer on PXE requests
only, first server will answer on DHCP requests only, both servers
simultaneously will act as PXE-server.

Meaningful parts of configs:
Proxy DHCP server:
pxe-service=x86PC,"Network boot",pxelinux
dhcp-range=192.168.0.0,proxy
DHCP-only server:
dhcp-range=192.168.0.20,192.168.0.50,12h

And don't forget to read the man page carefully about "proxy" feature =)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Helmut Hullen <Hullen at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> how can I put the PXE server onto another machine than the DHCP server?
>
> I have 2 servers in my LAN, 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.7
>
> When I stop the dnsmasq on one of the machines and run the other as a
> PXE and DHCP server, with
>
>        dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0
>
> then all works fine.
>
> When I only stop the DHCP server on the second machine with
>
>        no-dhcp-interface=eth0
>
> then this machine works as desired: no DHCP (the first machine makes the
> DHCP server as desired).
>
> But when I tell the first machine (which shall work only as the DHCP
> server, not as the PXE server)
>
>        dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,192.168.0.7
>
> it ignores the IP address of the second server and works instead as the
> LAN PXE server - what goes wrong?
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

Kasatkin Nikolay