[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPV6 Prefix Delegation (IA_PD)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 14:49:20 UTC 2014

On 27/02/14 10:46, Tsachi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I might be wrong, but from what I understand from the man (and the
> code), dnsmasq does not support replying to IA_PD (prefix delegation)
> requests.

You're right, though this may change in the future.

> Deployed as a router, I have a case which I am using dnsmasq
> (ipv4/ipv6) and I want to be able to answer PD requests (from a
> different router).
> Is there a way to do that with dnsmasq ?

You mean have DHCP-PD server that's running on a different machine?
DHCPv6 has the same capability as DHCPv4 to have more than one DHCP
server on a network. The client is supposed to pick whichever one works
best for it, so _in theory_ running another DHCPv6 server just for
DHCP-PD should work. I've certainly never tried it.