[Dnsmasq-discuss] redundant/resiliant dnsmasq servers?

Rick Thomas rbthomas at pobox.com
Thu Mar 24 19:34:02 GMT 2016

My home network recently suffered 5 hours of downtime because the dnsmasq server crashed and took out my DNS and DHCP service.

Is it possible to run a backup instance of dnsmasq on a different server so this wouldn't happen again?

How would I configure this?

I can (and do) have two dnsmasq/DNS servers (with identical /etc/hosts files).  That works fine.  But when I try to have two dnsmasq/DHCP servers (with identical /etc/ethers files) things get confused and some clients go for long periods without working network attachment.

Thanks!
Rick