[Dnsmasq-discuss] About UEFI PXE booting in proxy mode

Jr-Huang Shiau jhshiau at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 14:36:09 GMT 2017

Dear all,I am having the same issue as Juan García-Pardo described here:http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2016q4/010931.htmlOn Ubuntu 16.04, I use dnsmasq which is backported from Ubuntu 16.10:
dpkg -l dnsmasq

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
+++-======================-================-================-=================================================
ii  dnsmasq                2.76-5           all              Small
caching DNS proxy and DHCP/TFTP server

I configured a PXE server, and disabled the isc-dhcp-server and tftpd-hpa so that I can test the
DHCP proxy function of dnsmasq.
1. When the attached config file "1-working-local.conf" is used as
/etc/dnsmasq.conf without DHCP proxy, both PXE or uEFI client boot
successfully.

2. When the attached config file "2-not-working-proxy.conf" is used as
/etc/dnsmasq.conf with DHCP proxy, both PXE or uEFI client can _NOT_
boot successfully. In the log file "2-not-working-proxy.log" you can see
either PXE or uEFI client fails to enter network booting.

3. When the attached config file "3-partial-working-local.conf" is used
as /etc/dnsmasq.conf without DHCP proxy, PXE client can boot
successfully. However, EFI client did not. The log file was attached as
"3-not-working-efi-local.log".

4. When the attached config file "4-partial-working-proxy.conf" is used
as /etc/dnsmasq.conf with DHCP proxy, PXE client can successfully enter
network booting, as shown in "4a-working-pxe-client-proxy.log". However,
for EFI network client, just "bootx64.efi" was downloaded, no other
files were downloaded, as shown in
"4b-not-working-efi-client-proxy.log". For comparison, you can see in
"1-working-efi-no-proxy.log", without DHCP proxy, the clients should
download grub config file "grub.cfg" and other files.

Therefore it seems there is some uEFI network booting issues, no
matter it's using proxy or not.

If you need me to do more tests or more info, please let me know.
Thank you very much.

Steven