[Dnsmasq-discuss] false results reported

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:26:28 +0000

Peter Willis wrote:
> I hope this isn't a complete newbie question, but I did google around
> and check the dnsmasq docs and couldn't seem to find the solution to
> it... basically when I try to request the IP of a domain that does not
> exist, I always get the same result: the address of my firewall/ip
> masquerading gateway/dnsmasq server. I can attach my config if needed,
> but is there some option i've missed or some usage which prevents this
> from happening? I just want it to send back a "sorry, this domain
> doesn't exist" or equivalent message.

There' no way that should be happening, in fact there's no way to
configure dnsmasq to do that.

Just a thought, and apologies in advance if I'm insulting your
cluefulness, but are you interpreting the "I used this server" output
from dig as the answer to the query.

 >srk:~ > dig idontexist
 >
 >; <<>> DiG 9.2.4rc5 <<>> idontexist
 >;; global options:  printcmd
 >;; Got answer:
 >;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 4838
 >;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
 >
 >;; QUESTION SECTION:
 >;idontexist.                    IN      A
 >
 >;; Query time: 5 msec
 >;; SERVER: 192.168.0.4#53(192.168.0.4)
 >;; WHEN: Thu Dec  2 19:31:28 2004
 >;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 28

Those last few lines indicate the server used, not an answer to the
query.

If that doesn't explain things, please post your config and we'll
investigate further.