[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq stops working after changing from ppp to dhcp

Chris Purves chris at northfolk.ca
Tue Dec 20 07:08:11 GMT 2005

Hello,

I recently changed internet providers and so changed from a pppoe
connection (using pppd) to a dhcp connection (using dhcp-client).  In
the original setup I was using dnsmasq to act as a dhcp server and dns
server to a home network.  There were no problems with the setup.

I changed providers and so switched from using pppd to dhcp-client.
Dnsmasq was no longer able to provide dns lookup for client computers.
I replaced dhcp-client with dhcpcd and installed resolvconf but it's
still not working.

 From what I understand, in the original configuration, dnsmasq should
read from /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to provide dns server information.  When
I switched to dhcp, that file was no good anymore, but once I install
resolvconf, I expect that dnsmasq should read from /etc/resolv.conf, but
it seems that is not happening.

I'm running debian sarge.  Can someone give me some tips to debug this
problem?

Thanks.

--
Good day, eh.