[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq stops working after changing from ppp to dhcp

Chris Purves chris at northfolk.ca
Tue Dec 20 07:12:47 GMT 2005

Chris Purves wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently changed internet providers and so changed from a pppoe
> connection (using pppd) to a dhcp connection (using dhcp-client).  In
> the original setup I was using dnsmasq to act as a dhcp server and dns
> server to a home network.  There were no problems with the setup.
>
> I changed providers and so switched from using pppd to dhcp-client.
> Dnsmasq was no longer able to provide dns lookup for client computers. I
> replaced dhcp-client with dhcpcd and installed resolvconf but it's still
> not working.
>
>  From what I understand, in the original configuration, dnsmasq should
> read from /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to provide dns server information.  When
> I switched to dhcp, that file was no good anymore, but once I install
> resolvconf, I expect that dnsmasq should read from /etc/resolv.conf, but
> it seems that is not happening.
>
> I'm running debian sarge.  Can someone give me some tips to debug this
> problem?

I would like to add that /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf does correctly
show the dns servers:

nameserver 219.233.241.166
nameserver 211.167.97.67
nameserver 211.167.97.68

However, the first nameserver does not work.  If I try to ping it from
the computer connected directly to the internet I get no response.

--
Good day, eh.
Chris