[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem assigning static IP

Mircea Bardac dev.list at mircea.bardac.net
Thu Mar 23 00:04:19 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 19:24, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Has the address 192.168.0.2 be leased to another MAC address? The place
> to check is /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases. If that has happened, dnsmasq
> will not be able to give the address out to another machine, and will
> allocate an address out of the pool instead.

Many many thanks. I found that the IP address was already indeed already
leased (according to the lease file).

Apparently, the first time I've configured dnsmasq (which was a long time ago)
I set up a infinite lease time for a number of computers (.2 included).
Meanwhile, I've changed network cards around the LAN and only
modified /etc/dnsmasq.conf + restart. It didn't occur to me that the infinite
lease time would leave permanent marks on the DHCP server.

Would it be possible for dnsmasq to list some info/warnings on start about
already leased IPs (or maybe list this information for the leases which are
different in the config file)? I won't make this mistake again, but others
might find this helpful (I think).

Lots of thanks for a wonderful piece of software.

Mircea

--
http://mircea.bardac.net